9 Madison Avenue
In the heart of downtown Toronto, the Madison site is located north of Bloor Street and in close proximity to the University of Toronto campus. Surrounded by diverse and stable residential neighbourhoods and some of the City’s most popular retail blocks, the current surface parking lot represents an unrealized opportunity to contribute to the vibrancy of the surrounding neighbourhood.
The site is located directly over the subway track and consideration must be given to the resulting challenges. Build Toronto is working with a number of stakeholders and within the planning context of the Bloor Corridor Policies and the Bloor Corridor Urban Design Guidelines to determine the development opportunity on this site.
DetailsMajor Intersection: Spadina Avenue and Bloor Street West
Surrounding Uses: An established residential community, consisting of both high-, medium- and low-density residential buildings to the north, east and west; and the University of Toronto campus and a mix of residential, commercial and employment uses to the south.
Ward: 20 - Trinity-Spadina
Councillor: Joe Cressy
Site Area (acres): 0.27
Current Use: Toronto Parking Authority Lot
Proposed Use: Mixed-use
Official Plan - Land Use Designation: Mixed-Use Area
- Built form transitions
- General downward height transition from east to west and toward adjacent neighbourhoods
- Green space opportunities on side streets
- Consistent street wall
- Visual cohesion through massing
- Pedestrian-oriented public realm
- Appropriate transitions to minimize shadows on adjacent open spaces and neighbourhoods
- Create mid-block connections
- Maintain and enhance heritage block structure, built form and street character
Development LeadGabriella Sicheri